Friday, November 13, 2009

Getting a grip

First posted on www.crew.org forum October 21st, 2008

So much of what one reads these days points to a lowering of standards, poor supervision, and shoddy execution. Take the education system, for example, where excellence and scholarship seem to have been replaced with a sort of 'she’ll be right- anything goes ' mediocrity.

A glance around at the scruffy and scrofulous hooded apparitions passing for modern youth tells one that simple life skills such as deportment, manners, and attention to personal grooming, have pretty much gone out the back door.

So it was interesting to log on to http://www.stuff.co.nz/ which I make my first call of the day. There I learned, courtesy of The Nelson Mail, that employees of New Zealand Care, the state organisation responsible for the least fortunate of society, are teaching their charges the proper way to masturbate.

Nothing could be more important. There used to be schools, I understand, which taught this most essential of life skills but, sadly, mine wasn’t one of them. Well, not as part of the main curriculum. I suspect that some of the more promising students received private tuition, but I missed out - it could have been the red hair and freckles.

In fact, I must confess that I fumbled around in the most appalling fashion until taught the proper way to do it by a charming young lady in London’s SoHo, in 1963.

So for old jokers like me who grumble about falling standards, it is a pleasant relief to note that there are people amongst us who have the matter in hand.

No comments: